Let’s face it. We’ve all spend a solid amount of our childhood building forts, tents and teepees out of pallets. Picnics, sleepovers and entertainment for kids has been for the past 40 years or so at the expense of the companies storing their pallets outside their warehouses. When I see a pallet I’m always reminded of my childhood so that whenever I see one these days, I have an urge to build something from it. Whether is a fun new project or even just something that makes my wife happy like storage for shoes in our bedroom, there’s almost always something you can do with a pallet. This summer I noticed there’s been a lot more attention paid to this topic on some major home improvement internet sites. It got me to thinking that lots of people are probably already aware of the concept but may not know where they can get their groove on and start building stuff. So here are the best places to go if you’re looking for free pallets in the Seattle area.
A pallet fort is pretty much everything a child could want in a play fort. It’s big, it’s cool, and it’s something that adults can look back on fondly. How can you build a fort using recycled materials? Read on to find out…
How to build a pallet fort
Shipping pallets are a great building material because they are free, durable and easy to work with. Shipping pallets can be used in the construction of a simple fort or even a playhouse. The dimensions of shipping pallets vary by company and type of pallet, but they are all similar enough to be used interchangeably.
If you want to build a simple fort out of shipping pallets, you’ll need two stacks of four pallets each. These stacks should be placed side by side, with the tops facing inward and parallel to each other. You can then add additional layers as needed until your fort is at least 6 feet tall.
Shipping Pallet Dimensions
The dimensions for standard shipping pallets can vary from company to company and from type of product being shipped. Standard size is 48″ x 40″, but larger dimensions may be used for large pieces of furniture or equipment being shipped via freight services like UPS and FedEx Ground (formerly known as FedEx SmartPost).
In general, most standard size shipping crates have the following dimensions: 47″ x 39″ x 24″. This means that one crate will typically have room for three cubic feet of space inside it, which translates into about 50 pounds worth of cargo depending on what’s being shipped.
A pallet shipping fort is a fun and easy way to entertain kids of all ages. This project is so simple, it can be built in just a few hours. It’s also a great way to upcycle old shipping pallets!
– 2 x 8 or 10 foot pallets (depending on the size you want)
– Wood screws or nails
– Hammer and nail gun or drill with screwdriver bit (if using wood screws)
Pallet forts are a fun way to entertain your kids, but they don’t have to be expensive or complicated. You can build one in just a few minutes with the help of some cardboard boxes and shipping pallets!
How to Make a Pallet Fort
1. Get Supplies: You’ll need some cardboard boxes and shipping pallets for this project. The size of the boxes will vary depending on how big you want your fort to be, but if you’re using full-sized shipping pallets like we did, it’s best to use large cardboard boxes like ones that might hold televisions or large appliances. If you’re using smaller boxes, you may want to cut them down so they’re not so heavy when stacked together. The best part about this project is that it costs less than $20!
2. Gather Your Supplies: Lay out all of your supplies on the ground in front of where you want your fort to go (such as outside) or choose an indoor location if it’s raining outside or too cold outside for kids (or adults!). Make sure there’s plenty of room around each box so that when you stack them up, there’s enough space between each layer for kids (or adults) to walk through without
A pallet fort is a fun and easy way to make a fort or playhouse for children. The best part is that you can easily buy a few pallets at your local home improvement store, cut them up and make a custom-sized fort for your child.
1. Purchase a pallet from your local home improvement store. You can usually find them in the lumber section or on the side of the building near the dumpster area.
2. Cut the boards off of one side of the pallet with a circular saw or reciprocating saw (if you have access to one). You’ll need to cut through both layers of wood on each side of the board so it will be easier if you use an electric saw like this one from Ryobi.
3. Draw out a design on paper that includes windows, doors and other features needed for your fort (if desired). This will help you determine how many boards need to be removed from each side of the pallet so that you end up with an evenly sized square or rectangle when finished cutting out all four sides of the pallet (don’t forget about making room for windows and doors!).
4. Remove all boards from one side using either circular saws (if using multiple
To build a pallet fort, you’ll need:
A few pallets
A saw or other cutting device
Hammer and nails
A drill or screwdriver (optional)
Step 1: Cut the pallets into pieces. The exact size of the pieces depends on what you want to make and how much space you have. The image above shows two boxes made from one full-sized pallet. You could also make a smaller box or just a platform if you don’t have room for anything else. The important thing is that each piece should be big enough to support the weight of whatever will be placed on top of it (and possibly people).